Cycle News

Cycle News 2024 Issue 15 April 16

Cycle News is a weekly magazine that covers all aspects of motorcycling including Supercross, Motocross and MotoGP as well as new motorcycles

Issue link: https://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/1519162

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 114 of 159

P114 RIDE REVIEW I 2024 HARLEY-DAVIDSON STREET GLIDE AND ROAD GLIDE Eight 117 c.i. (1923cc) 45° V-twin engine that is exclusive to these models and replaces the former 107 c.i. (1746cc) Milwaukee-Eight 45° V-twin engine in the previous-year models. The 117 c.i. power unit in the '24 Street and Road Glides differs from the 117 c.i. engine in Harley's current Breakout 117 and Low Rider models. WHAT'S NEW? It's no secret that Harley-Davidson relies mightily on its name, heritage, iconic styling and tried-and-true design to sell motorcycles. When updating its motorcycles, the company always carefully attempts to find that perfect balance between old and new. It's almost as if the more tech Harley builds into a new bike, the more it tries to emphasize its heritage. That explains why you might be hard-pressed to distinguish the styling changes of the new Street and Road Glides from their predeces - sors, which is the now-distinct Rushmore generation, despite taking on a boatload of technical changes. (Project Rushmore was the code name for a four-year undertaking by Harley that culminated with a retooling of 2014 and later Touring models to have air- and liquid-cooled engines, touchscreen electronics and other customer-driven enhancements.) The main difference between the Street Glide and the Road Glide is their fairings. The Street Glide's fairing is mounted to the forks, the Road Glide's to the frame, and they are styled noticeably different. The Street Glide re - tains Harley's iconic "batwing" shape, while the Road Glide has a more edgy, shark-nosed look than ever before. And you can't miss that giant LED headlight (nor can other motorists!). Another big difference is their handlebar. The Road Glide's bar is positioned much high - er than the Street Glide's. The Road Glide also has a slightly taller laden seat height of 26.6 inches compared to the Street Glide's 26.1 inches. However, both bikes hold a generous six-gallons worth of fuel. Both bikes also received subtle styling tweaks to their fuel tanks, side covers, and saddlebags. There are several new colorways to choose from. The latest non-CVO Street and Road Glides are powered by Harley's new Milwaukee- Both Glides get a major update, most notably to their engines.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Cycle News - Cycle News 2024 Issue 15 April 16